Cerys - Engine, transmission etc.

I managed to obtain an unused, second hand recoil-start Honda G200 engine for this project. In a perfect world, I'd have liked an electric start Honda GX160, but that was VERY expensive, so I was looking at a Tecumseh engine when the offer of this one came up. At the price, it was a bargain, and had never even had oil put into it. It needed a small dent knocking out of the recoil start cover, but, otherwise, was an new.

The transmission requires a bracket made with a large hole in it - I got a suitable one laser cut in 6mm plate. As well as locating this in place (done by a piece of angle) I think it will also benefit from front and back support to stop it twisting. At the back, a plate was cut specifically for this purpose. At the front, it was simply attached to the cab front. Thus, the bracket is located at the bottom, and has supports to stop it twisting left or right.

The Eaton model 7 also requires a rather (ahem) interesting item machining to enable the fan to be fitted. The fan fits on the input side of the transmission, to blow air over the cooling fins. The manufacturer states that the fan is essential (although there are plenty about without them, and I know of one loco manufacturer who sells locos without it), and also that the maximum allowable pulley diameter is 4". They also state that the pulley load (i.e. the centre of the drive belt) must be over the bear ing centreline. Putting this together meant machining up (from 3" diameter steel bar) an adapter which could be keyed on to the shaft, fit over the end of the case, and also provide a seat for the pulley over that case. I used a standard taper bore pulley (identical to the one to be fitted to the engine), and bored it out to suit. What I did was to bore it out as large as I dared, and that gave me the size for the adapter ring.

Having turned this up, it was fitted to the transmission. This was then bolted in place, and the chain to the layshaft added.